Friday, January 13, 2012

Hey, I Like That Actor! Tom Hanks (Part One)

A new semi series.  I will write about an actor or actress and go through their movies. 

First one? Tom Hanks!

"He Knows You're Alone"



His film debut in a "Halloween" clone from 1980.  Don't remember this movie, but it looks familiar.  It is probably one of those that you see years later and go "Hey, that's Tom Hanks!"

"Bosom Buddies"



I remember watching this show as a kid.  He just couldn't stand very womanly.  But a funny show.  Hard to believe it made it two seasons.

"Mazes and Monsters"



I remember this television movie.  Tom goes nuts while playing Dungeons and Dragons.  I have seen that look on his face since.

"Family Ties"



He guest starred on a lot of television.  The one I remember is Elise Keaton's little brother, Uncle Ned.  He has a drinking problem.  He goes after Alex in a threatening manner.  Yes folks, it was "A VERY SPECIAL EPISODE" of "Family Ties". 

"Splash"



His first real movie.  Tom co-stars with John Candy and Eugene Levy and manages to nearly steal the movie from them.  Love this movie.  My husband and I sometimes play a mermaid slot machine and have to quote this movie.

Walter Kornbluth: BEHOLD the MERMAID.
"Bachelor Party"



This launched his wacky phase. 

"The Man With One Red Shoe"



Doesn't Lori Singer look a lot like Daryl Hannah?  I mostly remember Lori in the backless dress and Carrie Fisher in the animal print lingerie.  

"Volunteers"



Although they met years before on "Bosom Buddies" this was the movie that he fell in love with his wife.  It is a lot of fun and Tom does a high brow accent.

"The Money Pit"



Still in wacky mode.  This movie is fun though.  And I think of it every time I step on a squeaky step. 

"Nothing In Common"



It looks wacky, but it isn't.  Someone told Tom to make something a little more serious.

"Everytime We Say Goodbye"



Next Tom went serious and a period piece.

"Dragnet"



Flipped back to wacky.

"Big"



He balanced wacky with serious and was nominated for an Oscar.  Love this movie.

"Punchline"



Steven Gold: I've been coming down here for 18 months. 18 months! And I have not missed a night. I take the money that my father sends me and I pay for a shrink, and I buy groceries. Now I owe my shrink, and I'm behind in my rent. My roommate's a ba$tard - he's changed the locks in in my front door - I can't get in! He won't give me a key until I pay him. You wanna play games? I can play games! I can play games. I can play ventriloquist with my underwear. I can play darts while maintaining an erection. I can gargle dishwater and fart O Canada at the same time! I can play piano without being popular. I once had this dream - I was dancing on the streetcorner with a jackhammer up my a$$ - now that was either a sex dream or I need more fiber in my diet. If any of this is turning you on, just let me know.
Madeline Urie: Is - is this a joke?
Steven Gold: If you're sending someone down, you better send him fast - 'cuz funny Steve's going under.
"The 'burbs"
Back to wacky.  He seems to be looking for a balance.
"Turner and Hooch"
My husband tricked me into seeing this one. This man has never "accidentally" gone to wrong theater.
"Joe vs. The Volcano"
The first pairing with Meg Ryan.  Really cute movie.
"Bonfire of the Vanities"
Big flop.  Have never seen it. 
"Radio Flyer"
Sad movie.  Tom narrates.  Whupped kid flies away.  Mom leaves abusive husband.  Kid never comes home.  But he does send postcards.
"A League of their Own"
Jimmy Dugan: Evelyn, could you come here for a second? Which team do you play for?
Evelyn Gardner: Well, I'm a Peach.
Jimmy Dugan: Well I was just wonderin' why you would throw home when we got a two-run lead. You let the tying run get on second base and we lost the lead because of you. Start using your head. That's the lump that's three feet above your a$$.
[Evelyn starts to cry]
Jimmy Dugan: Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!
Doris Murphy: Why don't you give her a break, Jimmy...
Jimmy Dugan: Oh, you zip it, Doris! Rogers Hornsby was my manager, and he called me a talking pile of pig$hit. And that was when my parents drove all the way down from Michigan to see me play the game. And did I cry?
Evelyn Gardner: No, no, no.
Jimmy Dugan: Yeah! NO. And do you know why?
Evelyn Gardner: No...
Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying!


More tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment