Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Panic Room" 2002



"Panic Room"

Well, after a week of Twilight related posts, without realizing it, I had a Twilight actress in yesterday's post.  So to kind of continue the theme here is an early Kristen Stewart movie.  It was also Jodie Foster's birthday yesterday, so the stars are aligning.



I saw this film in the theater and really liked it.  So when it came out on DVD, I got my husband to watch it with me.   We were pretty far into the movie when Jodie Foster's character starts to freak out due to a medical emergency.

She starts screaming.  "GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOT!"

My husband looks at me. 

"That's a girl?"

"Her name is Sarah."

"Seriously?"

I admit, Kristen doesn't look real girly in this movie.



But she grew up and is doing just fine now.

Jodie Foster is great as Meg. 



She does a great transition from being a hurt and dispointed woman to finding her inner strength to protect herself and her daughter. 

She replaced Nicole Kidman who had suffered an injury during "Moulin Rogue" and didn't think she could handle the physicalality of the role. 



I have a hard time imagining Nicole in the role.  I just don't buy her as vulnerable. 

The men who break into the house are great too.  Forrest Whitaker, Jared Leto and the excellent Dwight Yoakam. 



Dwight is a great crazy guy.  He has done a few movie roles and really should do more.  Don't get me wrong, I love his music too.  But he can do both.

It is a great suspenseful movie.  There are great visuals. 

The thing I like the best is that the female character saves herself.  She has cops and her ex-husband come in to assist, but she does it herself. 



There are too many rescued in movies.  It is refreshing to see the girl do it and not wait for the white knight to swoop in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment