Monday, November 21, 2011

"Like Water For Elephants" 2011



"Like Water For Elephants"

Finishing up "Twilight" week, I have Robert Pattinson in "Like Water For Elephants" which is an adaptation of a book of the same name. I enjoyed the book very much.  I listened to it on audio and it was excellent.  I was anxious for the movie when I heard about it. 

Robert Pattinson plays Jacob as a young man.



He starts the movie as a veterinarian student about to finish school when he hears his parents have been killed in a car accident.  They have mortgaged everything to send him to Cornell so he can come back and take over the family practice.  Finding out there is nothing left, he takes off and jumps a train.

Hal Holbrook plays Jacob at ninety or ninety-two.  (Read the book!)



This is an excellent argument for having two different actors play the role for aging characters.  He is so great.  I wish he'd had his moments at the nursing home that were in the book.

Reese Witherspoon is Marlena. 



Jacob: Who's the woman who works with the horses?
Camel: That ain't no woman, that's the boss' wife and she don't talk to nobody and you don't talk to her.
She lacked something in the role.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  But I wanted her to be more of something.  Fragile, maybe?  I couldn't quite buy that she would marry a violent man.

Christoph Waltz is August. 



This was his first role after winning his Oscar.  He is passionate and intense.  Not as demented as the book in my opinion.  Plus they combined characters, which I didn't like. 

And finally Rosie. 



She is great.  There are moments of animal cruelty that are important to the story, but most is off camera. 

There are a lot of supporting characters that round it out nicely.



It is a good story, condensed quite a bit for the film.  The cinematography is wonderful and has an old movie feel.  It is a good adaptation as well. 

Tomorrow, Thanksgiving Movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment