Friday, August 24, 2012

Hot Day

My walks today and yesterday were shorter.  It was really hot and humid.  I just felt like I was dragging and I wasn't getting the satisfying thump of shoe to asphalt.  My feet felt heavier. 

Today the bike trail where I walk was busier than I've ever seen it.  I was passed several times.  There were a few bikers and a couple of runners.  But I was mostly passed by herds of teenage boys. 

They ran in packs.  The first in a group of eight or so.  Then three more went around.  Finally a lone runner brought up the rear.  He gave me a smile and a nod.  They are training for cross country track. 

I want to tell them to keep it up.  I want to tell them to remember the goals they are setting and keep doing it all their lives. 


 

Boys that age feel immortal.  They wouldn't listen to some fat lady who is old enough to be their mom.  They laugh and enjoy the exhilaration of being young. 

But I kept walking.  It is why I do my walk as soon as I get home.  I get up at 4 AM every morning, so sleep wins over exercise at that time.  But once I get home I change my clothes and go right out.  I know that if I let myself relax into that recliner the excuses are too easy. 

I can't waste time.  I have wasted enough.  Every mile I walk gains me hours, days, weeks, maybe even years.  Tomorrow will be cooler.  It may rain.  I will walk a little farther.  I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. OK seriously? 2 miles - is NOT a short walk! What the crap was up with that comment on Facebook?

    Good job Jo! I thank my lucky stars I don't have to live through Iowa humidity any more!!!!

    ReplyDelete