Monday, August 20, 2012

Fair Thoughts

Yesterday I went to the state fair.  It was the last day and since my husband had to work I figured I could enjoy the festivities (er, food) and get my walk in. 



So I grabbed my ticket  and set my pedometer.  I was anxious to see how much I would walk.  In the past I have been sure I walked miles and miles.  We walked in a slow and easy pace.  We wanted to get to the other side of the fairgrounds but we had a couple of hours to do it.  Our first stop was the deep fried cheese curds.

I know what you are thinking but this was a teeny, tiny, oh-so-very-small serving of cheese curds.  And I shared them with my husband.   Oh the cheesy, salty goodness.  Don't judge me!  I walked 11 miles in a week.  I have NEVER done that. 

We rested on the way and a lady walked by.  She stopped and complimented my red running shoes.

I smiled and said thank you.

I know now that I should not have engaged her.

"I like those shoes."  She repeated.

I smiled and nodded.

"I am allergic to elastic.  I had a pair of shoes and I wore them without socks.  I broke out in a horrible rash and I told my son what happened and he told me that I was allergic so now I can't wear anything with elastic in it because I break out and I can't even wear bras unless they are 100% cotton.  Do you know how hard it is to find all cotton bras?"

I was stunned.  She said it all in one breath.  I muttered something about how tough that had to be.

When she finally walked away I looked at my husband slightly stunned. 

This happens to me ALL the time.  I am just quietly minding my own business and then some stranger is sharing more than I really need to know.


We walked through the Varied Industries building and saw the Deloreon made out of cans.  It was cooler than my picture depicts.  I should have taken a side shot.

We rested again, sharing a Gizmo, which is an Italian sandwich.  It was pretty good. 

I like to see the butter cow.  Don't ask me why.  I don't know if it is the butter or the sculpting or just the cool building, but it is a must see for me.  My husband could care less.



Completely carved out of butter.  It is pretty cool.  This year they also had Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 


I didn't get a picture of Snow White.  It was hard enough getting clear shots of everything else and Snow White was rotating.  It was never going to happen.

On the way across we talked about the things we wanted.  I love the state fair lemonade.  They make it fresh and shake it up.  They have flavored ones now, strawberry, raspberry and such.  I walked down and got two bringing one to my husband. 

We sipped them and people watched.  They were really good. 

Then I had a Sprite.

Then I had a Cresenti.  (This awesome Italian sandwich)

I tried to sneak the Cresenti, cause my husband knows how to make them, but I had the GPS feature on and he checked the map.   I was caught. 

I managed to walk a couple miles but it wasn't a good walk.  Plus I ate crap.




We got home late, well late for me, and I ate some fried food at home. 

I went to bed and soon had a headache and an upset stomach.  I took some Tylenol and antacids.  But sitting on the edge of my bed I just felt like all the crap I'd eaten.

Last year I didn't remember feeling like that.  I ate a lot more bad things.  I am sure I slipped in a funnel cake and some ice cream.  I know I ate cookies. 

Can a week of walking make that big of a difference?  I know that I don't want to feel that way again.  Ever.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot to tell us: how many steps? Iowa fairs are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walked 4890 steps. My husband said the map looked like the kid from the Family Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! My work is participating in the American Heart Associations Walk Movement. So they gave us little pedometers to use! So now I know how many steps I walk during the day. If I exclude my official walk - i was 3700 steps yesterday and 3300 today (my walk was 4020 steps this morning).

    ReplyDelete