Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Wizard of Oz" 1939

The Wizard of Oz (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Edition)
“The Wizard of Oz”

There’s no place like home. "The Wizard of Oz" was released into movie theaters for the first time today in 1939.

I remember watching it every year around Easter when I was a kid. I’ve never been able to figure out why it is always on at Easter. But then it isn’t really connected to any other holiday either. This movie transcends generations. You say “I’ll get you my pretty” and chances are someone will pipe up with “And your little dog too!”

This movie was a favorite of my nephew and a few years later, my son.

I met my husband’s nephews a few months into dating. He had offered to babysit the three little boys while his sister and her husband went out with friends. So I came along to meet some family members. There was a flurry of introductions, an announcement that we were dating BUT NOT GETTING MARRIED, and his sister and husband left us with the boys.

All the boys were memorable to me. The oldest at eight was very studious and showed me the book he was reading. The middle one told me about his dog, Walter, who was a cool dog till he got eaten by a coyote. This story was odd till I found out that Walter was a very small dog. But the one that stands out is the littlest one.

He was four and had lost all four of his front teeth as a toddler. After getting settled in, I was in the kitchen helping to make some dinner.

He came up to me and tugged on my shirt.

“Do you like Darcy?” He asked.

“I don’t know Darcy.” Hoping it wasn’t someone I’d already met.

“He means Dorothy. The Wizard of Oz.” My husband translated.

“Oh, I love Dorothy.”

So I was dragged to the VCR to watch “The Wizard of Oz.”

It is hard to believe that adorable little boy is getting married in a few weeks. He has grown up to be an amazing and funny young man.

Wizard of Oz is universal. It is about friendship, adventure, and good vs. evil. It has witches and fake wizards. It has those freaky flying monkeys. So, follow the yellow brick road and watch a classic.


No comments:

Post a Comment