Saturday, August 13, 2011

"My Cousin Vinny" 1992

My Cousin Vinny
“My Cousin Vinny”

It starts as a road trip. Two New York guys headed to college in California driving through the south. A stop at the Sac O Suds convenience store, an accidental shop lifting incident and one dead clerk later, they are in a world of trouble and need a good lawyer. Luckily Bill’s cousin Vinny just passed the bar and is ready to defend them.

Joe Pesci plays Vinny with all his Brooklyn swagger. He is accompanied by his fiancé, Lisa, played to perfection by Marisa Tomei. She won the Oscar for her portrayal. It was a surprise, some even claimed a mistake by Jack Palance, but she is great. She goes toe to toe with Pesci and makes Vinny a human being and not a caricature.

They pull into town, ready to take on the world. It begins a great fish out of water tale.

Mona Lisa Vito: [Vinny looks at her funny] What?
Vinny Gambini: Nothing. You stick out like a sore thumb around here.
Mona Lisa Vito: Me? What about you?
Vinny Gambini: I fit in better than you. At least I'm wearing cowboy boots.
Mona Lisa Vito: Oh yeah, you blend.


The trouble starts immediately. There is a great scene where Vinny goes to the prison to meet with Bill, played by Ralph Macchio and Stan, played by Mitchell Whitfield. Bill is sleeping and Stan misunderstands Vinny’s intentions.

Vinny Gambini: Look, it's either me or them. You're gettin' f**ked one way or the other.
[Stan tries to get up]
Vinny Gambini: Hey, relax, I'm gonna help you.
Stan: Gee thanks.
Vinny Gambini: Excuse me, I think a modicum of gratitude would not be out of line here.
Stan: You think I should be grateful?
Vinny Gambini: Yeah, it's you’re a$$, not mine. I think you should be grateful. I think you should be down on your f**kin' knees.
Stan: I didn't know it was such an honor to get a visit from you.
Vinny Gambini: I'm doing a favor, you know. You're gettin' me for nothing, you little f**k!
Stan: That's one hell of an ego you got.
Vinny Gambini: What the f**k is your problem? I did not come down here just to get jerked off.
Stan: I'm not jerking you off. I'm not doing anything.
Vinny Gambini: That's it. You're on your own. I'll just take care of Sleeping Beauty.
[Wakes up Bill]
Bill: Vinny. Vinny bag o' donuts.


I could spend pages just quoting this movie. The dialogue is so awesome. Of course I am going to use up all my asterisks if I over quote it. Gotta keep it clean!

Marisa Tomei and Joe Pesci have great chemistry. There are many fun interactions between the two of them. One of the best is when Vinny is going hunting with the DA to get information and asks Lisa if the pants he’s wearing will be suitable.

Mona Lisa Vito: Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along. You get thirsty. You spot a little brook. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water - BAM. A f**kin' bullet rips off part of your head. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces. Now I ask ya, would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son-of-a-b**ch who shot you was wearing?

I love the interactions with the Judge, the DA and the Sheriff. The best part of the movie is that there is really no bad guy. Everyone is just doing their job and trying to make sure justice is served.

Vinny is under a lot of pressure to win this case.

Vinny Gambini: Lisa, I don't need this. I swear to God, I do not need this right now, okay? I've got a judge that's just aching to throw me in jail. An idiot who wants to fight me for two hundred dollars. Slaughtered pigs. Giant loud whistles. I ain't slept in five days. I got no money, a dress code problem, AND a little murder case which, in the balance, holds the lives of two innocent kids. Not to mention your BIOLOGICAL CLOCK - my career, your life, our marriage, and let me see, what else can we pile on? Is there any more $HIT we can pile on to the top of the outcome of this case? Is it possible?
Mona Lisa Vito: [pause] Maybe it was a bad time to bring it up.


It is a great movie with a wonderful climactic ending. Vinny is winning the case before he figures out what really happened. When he does, he becomes gleeful, like a little kid on Christmas morning, the minute before you open the presents.

Right into the credits, as Lisa and Vinny make their wedding plans, you wish you could follow their convertible on to their next adventure. It would have been cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment