Thursday, August 18, 2011

"The Truman Show" 1998

The Truman Show [Blu-ray]

“The Truman Show”

“Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!”


I remember taking my son to see this. He was nine at the time and we went in expecting a little more “wacky” Jim Carrey. It got a little deep for my son and he didn’t enjoy it much. I liked it enough that I went again with my husband who also wasn’t terribly impressed.

It isn’t typical, “Dumb and Dumber” Jim Carrey. There was a little more goofiness than I thought it needed, but it was also interesting. In 1998 reality TV hadn’t taken off the way it has now. But this movie depicts the obsession pretty well.

I like reality shows. Well, some reality. I have never missed an episode of “Survivor” or the “Amazing Race”. I watch “Big Brother” and have “19 Kids and Counting “ on my DVR. Some my husband watches with me, some I save for alone time.

“The Truman Show” has the manipulated moments, obsessed fans and blatant product placement. Much like the reality shows of today. And in the beginning, Truman is blissfully unaware. He accepts that this is his life. He has been manipulated to fear water, so he can never leave his little island town and check out the “real” world beyond it.

Laura Linney is incredible as Truman’s stressed out wife. She is forced to play in love and excited while promoting a new lawnmower. Linney is excellent at showing the brittle cracks behind a smiling veneer. She is doing this on her show “The Big C” right now. She has to work hard at being positive while promoting new products.

“Hi, honey! Look what I got free at the checkout. It's a "Chef's Pal". It's a dicer, grater, peeler, all in one. Never needs sharpening, dishwasher safe!”

Ed Harris is the man behind the show. He is God to Truman. He loves him, but only as long as the ratings are good. Even when Truman is trying to escape, he mostly worries about getting the shot.


Network Executive: For God's sake, Chris! The whole world is watching. We can't let him die in front of a live audience!
Christof: He was born in front of a live audience.

I like that at the end Truman walks out into the world and we have no idea what happens next. You just imagine that he would still be bombarded by cameras, this time ones he can see. Will he get the girl? Will he travel the world? Will he sue Christof for back pay on 35 years of starring on a hit show?

Ultimately it is hopeful.


Truman: Was nothing real?
Christof: You were real. That's what made you so good to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment