Friday, August 12, 2011

"Mr. Mom" 1983

Mr. Mom
“Mr. Mom”

In this economy, I think this movie could be updated with very few changes. It is the story of a bad economy, record job losses, and blurring gender roles. In 1983 there weren’t stay at home dads. Now it is still rare, but not unheard of. Not a lot of families can afford to even afford to live on one income.

Michael Keaton stars as Jack Butler, a guy who suddenly is laid off. He has a wife and three kids so he needs an income. He and his wife, Caroline, played by the delightful Terri Garr, make a bet to see who can get a job first. Next thing you know, Caroline has a job and Jack has to stay home with the kids.

In no time Caroline is succeeding at her job and Jack is going crazy at home.

Jack Butler: “My brain is like oatmeal. I yelled at Kenny today for coloring outside the lines! Megan and I are starting to watch the same TV shows, and I'm liking them! I'm losing it.“

He starts put on weight, stops shaving and becomes addicted to “The Young and the Restless“.

I can remember that summer of “The Young and The Restless”. I was a fan for years, but never so intensely as those young teenage summers. Yes, I was kind of a geek. I didn’t miss an episode during the summer. The great thing about soap operas was that you could get caught up really fast if you missed an episode or two. If I am home during the day it is funny to see that Victor and Nikki are still battling it out. Only now it is along with their kids and grandkids.

Back to “Mr. Mom”, Michael Keaton is at his best. He made a lot of movies after this, including “Batman”, but here he is funny and sweet. He is great with the kids. Sure there’s the stereotypical “a man can’t do that” humor, but it doesn’t dwell on it too much. Terri Garr is great. She sells the stay at home mom and the burgeoning executive. Ann Jillian is fun as the tempting neighbor. Martin Mull is great as the lecherous boss.

My favorite scene is when Caroline is about to leave on a business trip and her boss comes to pick her up. When a limo pulls up out front, Jack looks at his robe and jumps to action. Next thing you know he is coming through the door in overalls with a chainsaw.

Jack: [Enters scene revving chainsaw] How ya doin'. You must be Ron Richardson. I'm Jack Butler, nice to meetcha.
Ron: Pleased to meet you.
Jack: Huh?
Ron: I say I'm pleased...
[Jack Turns chainsaw off]
Ron: ...to meet you. I'm just waiting for Caroline.
Jack: Well, uh, you know women.
Ron: Yeah, I'd like to think I do.
Jack: Wanna beer?
Ron: It's 7 o'clock in the morning.
Jack: Scotch?
Ron: Not during working hours. Ooooh, sorry pal.
Jack: No problem. Come on over here Ron. Let me show you what I'm doing, taking advantage of some of the time off. To, uh, add a whole new wing on here. Gonna rip these walls out and, uh, of course re-wire it.
Ron: Yeah, you gonna make it all 220?
Jack: Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

My husband and I quote the last line all the time. I like this movie. It is just a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment