Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Fast Times At Ridgemont High" 1982


“Fast Times At Ridgemont High”

Nicolas Cage was credited as Nicolas Coppola in his first credited film role. Later he took the stage name of Cage so that he was making his own name and not playing on his famous uncle’s. His role in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” is Brad’s Bud. He only has a couple of lines. There are a few more if you watch the edited television version that cuts out all the nudity and language.
Brad's Bud: Brad, your sister's turning into a fox!

This movie was based on a book by Cameron Crowe of “Say Anything” and “Almost Famous”. He had gone undercover at a California high school and wrote the book about his experience. “Almost Famous” gives a little background; he graduated high school early and looked even younger.

This movie launched the careers of a lot of future actors including Judge Rienhold, Jennifer Jason Lee, Phoebe Cates as well as a couple of other Oscar winners Sean Penn and Forest Whitaker.

The movie is about love, sex and getting through American History with Mr. Hand.

Jennifer Jason Lee is Stacy. She is an actor I don’t really care for. I’m not sure what it is about her. I think it has to do with the way she moves her mouth when she talks, like she doesn’t want to open her mouth too wide. She is good in this movie where the shyness and tentative manner she displays work for the role.
Stacy Hamilton: I want a relationship. I want romance.
Linda Barrett: In Ridgemont? We can't even get cable TV here, Stacy, and you want romance.

Phoebe Cates is her more experienced friend. She dates older guys and would never consider a high school boy. She has taken on the sexual education of Stacy. And she has the now infamous pool scene. She got married and hasn’t worked much since. I would love to see her get back in the spotlight.
Stacy Hamilton: When a guy has an orgasm, how much comes out?
Linda Barrett: A quart or so.

Judge Reinhold is Brad. He starts the movie wanting to be a single successful guy. Just as he’s fired from his job, his girlfriend of two years dumps him. He spends the movie trying to find his way. He went on to a lot of comedies and it still a pretty funny guy.
Jeff Spicoli: No shirt, no shoes...
Jeff and Stoner Buds: No dice! Ohhhh.
Brad Hamilton: Right. Learn it. Know it. Live it.
Jeff Spicoli: He's the full hot orator.

Sean Penn is Jeff Spicoli. The ultimate surfer dude. Anyone that came after him is a pale imitation. He set the bar. He’s gone on to win a couple of Oscars, but this is my favorite role of his.
Jeff Spicoli: People on 'ludes should not drive!

There are a lot of other characters in this movie, including Mark Ratner and his buddy Mike Damone. I know that we’ve quoted him countless times.
Mike Damone: I don’t know I’m pretty busy Rat.

I don’t remember seeing this movie when it came out. Considering it was rated R, I am sure that I saw it on cable years later. But if it comes on TV I have to watch it. But I don’t really watch it for Nicolas Cage. I try to blink and miss him if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment