Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Anchorman" 2004

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy [Blu-ray]
“Anchorman”

Ron Burgundy: I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

Tim Robbins won the Oscar for his portrayal of an anguished man full of secrets in “Mystic River”. He is gritty and raw. It is a powerful story. “Anchorman” is a very different movie.
Tim Robbins isn’t much more than a cameo in this movie, which is good.

We saw this in the theater. As previously mentioned, Will Ferrell is one of my husband’s favorites. We have since seen it approximately a hundred and fifty million times in whole or part on cable. I think it alternates weekends on TBS with “Talladega Nights”.

Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell? Oh.
Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire my lady.
Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper... filled with... Indian food. Oh, excuse me.
Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people.
News Station Employee: [Disgusted] What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
News Station Employee: [Horrified] Smells like Bigfoot's di*k!
Brian Fantana: [Tries to act casual and walk away] Woah, what's that smell?

It has a huge supporting cast. Everyone from Ben Stiller to Luke Wilson.
It has an extremely violent all News team fight.

Ron Burgundy: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
Champ Kind: It jumped up a notch.
Ron Burgundy: It did, didn't it?
Brick Tamland: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.
Ron Burgundy: I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
Brick Tamland: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.
Ron Burgundy: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

There is a great voice over and the most psychedelic sex scene in the history of film.
Ron Burgundy: [riding unicorns through cartoon Pleasure Town] Look, the most glorious rainbow ever.
Veronica Corningstone: Oh. Do me on it.

My favorite part is that a presumed dead dog named Baxter saves the day.
[subtitled conversation between Ron's dog Baxter and an attacking bear]
Baxter: Leave these people alone. They mean you no harm.
Bear: We Bears are a proud race. They must pay for their intrusion.
Baxter: On my journey I met one of your kind. His name was Katow-jo. We became friends.
Bear: Katow-jo is my cousin. Go in peace.
Baxter: I will tell tales of your compassion.
Bear: Fare thee well, Baxter. You shall always be friend of the bears.

Stay classy San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment