Saturday, June 9, 2012

Road Trip!


Today I am taking a road trip north to celebrate my two nephews' graduation.  I love taking a road trip.  It is fun to hop in the car and just drive for some hours.  Since it is a long drive and I am picking up people along the way, I asked my son if I could borrow his car. 

He was hesitant. 

"Why do you want my car?"  He asked eyeing me warily.

I stated my case.

"Your car is a little bigger than mine, I'm picking up Aunt M and Uncle T.  Then Grandma is coming back with me.  And you have better gas mileage" 

Reluctantly he handed over the keys.  I can't blame him.  He has seen enough road trip movies to be nervous.

The car in the movies always starts out pristine.  Sometimes it is even brand new.







Ed, the car salesman: I'll get to the bottom of this. Davenport!
Davenport: Yes, Mr. Ed.
Ed, the car salesman: Mr. Griswold ordered a blue sports wagon, where is it?
Davenport: I don't know sir.
Ed, the car salesman: I know what must have happened. It didn't come in.
Clark Griswold: Ed, I'm not your average everyday fool. Now I want my blue sports wagon and if you can't get it I'm gonna take my business elsewhere! Where's my old car?
Ed, the car salesman: I'm just as upset as you are, believe me. Davenport! Get Mr. Griswold's car back and bring it back here! Now I can get you the wagon, there's not problem there. The problem is that it might take six weeks. Now, I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster... You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it.
Clark Griswold: I don't want to drive it. I just want my old car back. I'm not falling for this. Let's go, Russ

By the end of the movie, it looks like this.






Rusty Griswold: Wow dad, we must have jumped that rail by like 50 yards.
Clark: Nothing to be proud of Russ...
[pauses as Rusty walks away]
Clark: [proudly] ... 50 yards...

Every road movie car has been wrecked, vandalized, burned, stolen by Neil Patrick Harris and had not quite dead deer in the backseat.  It would make me anxious too. 

But I promise my son I will be careful.  I will drive the speed limit.  I won't jump any guard rails.  I won't pick up any hitchhikers or even befriend a needy stranger.  I will drive north this morning and south this evening and return his car with a full tank of gas.

But just in case I do have insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment