Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Election - 1999



Election

This is my favorite political movie.  Sure it is about a high school election, but it depicts the process so well. 





Reese Witherspoon is awesome as a driven girl running for class president. 

TRACY
(cheery, awkward)
I can't wait to start campaigning.

JIM
Should be easy.  So far no competition.

TRACYWell, you know, Coca-Cola's the world's number one soft drink, but they spend more money than anybody on advertising.  I guess that's how come they stay number one.

There is quite a bit of awesome voice overs.  Some of the best of it belonging to Ferris Bueller himself, Matthew Broderick.  He plays Jim McCallister a high school history teacher.






JIM (VO)
It's hard to remember how the whole thing started, the whole election mess. What I do remember is that I loved my job. I was a teacher, an educator, and I couldn't imagine doing anything else.
Jim's best friend had an ill-advised affair with Tracy and had to leave the state.  It sets Jim down a road.  He decides that Tracy needs to go down.   He recruits Paul Metzler, a former quarterback who's been sidelined with a broken leg. 






This was Chris Klein's first role.  He is a lovable idiot who is happy to go along.  He is even supportive when his little sister throws her name in the ring. 

PAUL (VO)
Dear God, thank You for all Your blessings.  You have given me so many things, like good health, nice parents, a nice truck, and what I've been told is a large penis, and I'm very grateful.  But I sure am worried about Tammy.  In my heart I still can't believe she tore down my posters, but sometimes she does get so weird and angry.  Please help her be a happier person, because she's so smart and sensitive, and I love her.  Also, I'm nervous about the election tomorrow, and I guess I want to win and all, but I know that's totally up to You.  You'll decide who the best person is, and I'll accept it.  And forgive my sins, whatever they may be.  Amen.

It is the story of Jim McCallister's downward spiral.  He starts as a respected teacher with a wife who wants his baby. 

By the end he is alone, unemployed and not looking real good. 






The journey is funny and dark.  All the performances are pitch perfect and avoid parody.   I guess I am in a dark comedy mood this week.   It is also a great break from all the March Madness that is the current election.

No comments:

Post a Comment