Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Ghostbusters" 1984

I had my son pick a random movie from the collection for my first post. He pulled out "Ghostbusters".
Ghostbusters came out in 1984. I was fifteen. I remember going to see it with my brother and younger sister. There was a genuine scare when the ghost in the library popped out. You couldn't turn on MTV without seeing the Ray Parker video. And if anyone said, "Who you gonna call?" the answer was obvious.
I still quote so many lines from this movie.
"Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!"
"Are you the keymaster?" (Which is also a line from "Say Anything", a post for another day).
"Don't cross the beams. It would be bad."
"That is one big Twinkie."

You have Bill Murray at his smart aleck best, Rick Moranis turning into a dog, and the giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. It is a fun and funny movie. But why is it in my library?
I have a lot of movies from the eighties in my collection. Movies in the eighties were about sillyness and heart. They had bouncy pop soundtracks and big hair. If a couple was arguing at the beginning of the movie, you just knew that they would be in love at the end. There wasn't a lot of angst in the eighties movies. Hollywood saved that for the nineties.
This movie made me want to visit New York City. I still want to and will get there someday! It is a great movie to watch on a lazy afternoon. And it makes me want s'mores.

No comments:

Post a Comment