Saturday, September 3, 2011

"The Princess Bride" 1987

The Princess Bride (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
“The Princess Bride”

The Grandson: A book?
Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.
The Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...
The Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.
I apologize in advance, as this is another of those highly quotable movies. So there will be many quotes.
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

There are so many actors in this movie that you never see anymore. Of course Robin Wright married and divorced Sean Penn and was Forrest Gump’s Jenny. I last saw Cary Elwes as a serial killer, but even that was years ago. Wallace Shawn has made a successful career playing the same character. Christopher Guest has used his sardonic wit to create a handful of amazing mockumentaries. Mandy Patinkan has gone on to television and stage work. We’ve lost Andre the Giant and Peter Falk. Little Fred Savage survived his Wonder Years and is all grown up and directing television shows.
Inigo Montoya: My father was slaughtered by a six-fingered man. He was a great swordmaker, my father. When the six-fingered man appeared and requested a special sword. My father took the job. He slaved a year before it was done.
[Shows the Man in Black the sword]
Man in Black: I've never seen its equal.
Inigo Montoya: The six-fingered man returned and demanded it, but at one tenth his promised price, my father refused. Without a word, the six-fingered man slashed him through the heart. I loved my father. So naturally, I challenged his murderer to a duel. I failed. The six-fingered man left me alive, but he gave me these.
[strokes the scars on his cheeks]
Man in Black: How old were you?
Inigo Montoya: I was eleven years old. And when I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six-fingered man and say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

This movie is an amazing mix. It has all the things the Grandpa promised when he started reading and more. The humor is great.
Count Rugen: Ah. Are you coming down into the pit? Wesley's got his strength back. I'm starting him on the machine tonight.
Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

I have worked with a couple of people that really loved this movie. They had t-shirts and screensavers. They were astounded when a trainer in our office told them he’d never seen the movie. They began a mission to make sure he saw it. I brought my DVD in and he was promptly harassed until he watched it. He loved it and was amazed that he’d avoided seeing it all those years.
The Grandson: Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow.
Grandpa: As you wish.
Have fun storming the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment