Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Little Women" 1994


“Little Women”

This is a movie that gets made every generation or so. Each version is updated to reflect a little more of that time. There is a version with Katharine Hepburn as Jo March and one with Elizabeth Taylor as Amy March. Then there was a seventies mini series with Meredith Baxter as Meg and Susan Dey as Jo.

I like this version. Winona Ryder is great as Jo. She does a wonderful job of being the sister that is unsure of where she fits in the world. She wants to be a boy and go off to the Civil War with her father. But she also loves her sisters.
Jo March: I find it poor logic to say that because women are good, women should vote. Men do not vote because they are good; they vote because they are male, and women should vote, not because we are angels and men are animals, but because we are human beings and citizens of this country.
Mr. Mayer: You should have been a lawyer, Miss March.
Jo March: I should have been a great many things, Mr. Mayer.

Trini Alverado is the perfect Meg. She has spunk. She remembers more prosperous days for the family and mourns the loss of them.
Laurie: Meg?
Meg: Please don't tell Jo how I've behaved.
Laurie: As long as you won't tell anyone how I've behaved.
Meg: I was just playing a part. To see what it felt like to be Belle Gardiner with four proposals and 20 pairs of gloves.
Laurie: You're worth ten of those girls.
Boston Matron: Did you see the way that March girl has gone after the Laurence heir?
Boston Matron: Best thing that could happen to the Marches.
Meg: This ridiculous dress, I've been tripping over it all night.
Laurie: Tie something around your neck where it can do you some good.

Claire Danes is great as the tragic Beth. She is gentle and depends on her sisters for everything. The world frightens her and it is only when her sisters are by her side that she is strong.
Beth: If God wants me with Him, there is none who will stop Him. I don't mind. I was never like the rest of you... making plans about the great things I'd do. I never saw myself as anything much. Not a great writer like you.
Jo: Beth, I'm not a great writer.
Beth: But you will be. Oh, Jo, I've missed you so. Why does everyone want to go away? I love being home. But I don't like being left behind. Now I am the one going ahead. I am not afraid. I can be brave like you.

Kirstin Dunst plays the young Amy. She is vain, worrying over her popularity and wondering if she’ll grow a more distinguished nose.
Amy: I don't wanna die. I've never even been kissed. I've waited my whole to be kissed, and what if I miss it?
Laurie: I tell you what. I promise to kiss you before you die.

Samantha Mathis takes over as a more mature Amy. She attempts to be cultured and mature. She knows that she will not marry a poor man. She plans a life of luxury.

Amy: Have you heard from Jo? She has befriended a German professor.
Laurie: I envy her happiness. I envy his happiness. I envy John Brooke for marrying Meg. I hate Fred Vaughn. And if Beth had a lover I would despise him too. Just as you have always known that you would never marry a pauper, I have always known that I belong to the March family.
Amy: I will not be loved for my family...

Susan Sarandon is wonderful as Marmee. She has raised her daughters to value themselves for their intellect and cleverness and not their more superficial charms.
Marmee March: Oh, Jo. Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life? You're ready to go out and - and find a good use for your talent. Tho' I don't know what I shall do without my Jo. Go, and embrace your liberty. And see what wonderful things come of it.

Christian Bale plays Laurie, the object of many affections amongst the March sisters. He is in love with Jo and jealous of any suitors that the other girls find. Like Amy knowing she won’t marry a poor man, Laurie knows that he will marry a March girl.
Laurie: I have loved you since the moment I clapped eyes on you. What could be more reasonable than to marry you?
Jo March: We'd kill each other.
Laurie: Nonsense!
Jo March: Neither of us can keep our temper-...
Laurie: I can, unless provoked.
Jo March: We're both stupidly stubborn, especially you. We'd only quarrel!
Laurie: I wouldn't!
Jo March: You can't even propose without quarreling.

Gabriel Byrne is great as the love of Jo’s life. He is Fredrich Bhar a German immigrant. In his country he was a respected and educated man. In the United States he can’t find a job teaching. But he encourages Jo to follow her dreams and be true to herself. The scene where he comes to see her at the end is great.
Friedrich: But I have nothing to give you. My hands are empty.
[entwines her hands with his]
Jo: Not empty now.

I saw this movie in the theater with friends. It was lovely. The cinematography was beautiful, the acting was fabulous. I still cry every time I see it. But a friend of mine was a little more invested than I was. She started crying when Beth died and it advanced rather quickly to hitching sobs. It was almost as if she knew Beth personally. But with this story it is easy to feel that way.
I am one of four sisters. I am in the Beth spot of the family. I have always like this story because there aren’t many heroines named Jo.

It will get remade I am sure. As long as it isn’t someone like Miley Cyrus as Jo, I will probably see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment