Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Lion King" 1994


“Lion King”

They released Lion King into theaters in 3D this weekend. I remember going to this movie the first time it came out. It was my son’s first movie in a theater.

He was about four and a half. I coached him beforehand. We have to stay in our seats. If we get out of our seats, we will leave and not see the movie. He assured me that he would sit still and watch the movie. He was a little fidgety during the previews. I had to remind him a couple of times to get sit in his chair. Then the movie started. The music rose over the savannah and he was transfixed.
It was the longest he’d ever sat still in his life. It was almost more fun watching him watch the movie than watching the movie itself. It is a great movie.

He laughed at Timon and Pumba’s antics. He swayed along to the music by Elton John. When it was over he wanted me to rewind it so he could watch it all over again.

When we got home he ran to his dad.

“How was the movie?” My husband asked.

“It was really good.”

“What happened?”

“Mufasa was king and then he died and Simba ran away but then he came back and took his place in the circle of life.” This rushed out in one breath.
Once it came out on video we watched it a few thousand more times, but it was still good. You can’t beat the soundtrack or the spin classic Hamlet tale. The voices are awesome. James Earl Jones is fantastic as Mufasa. Jeremy Irons is wonderful as Scar. Matthew Broderick is great as the adult Simba.

Overall a Disney classic and one of my favorite theater going experiences. My son and I have seen a lot of movies since then, but the first time was one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment